Before You Begin
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF MY DELL DOWNLOADS?
WHAT INTERNET BROWSER AND PLUG-INS ARE REQUIRED TO ACCESS
AND USE MY DELL DOWNLOADS?
My Dell Downloads contains certain software titles that are installed on your system
at time of purchase. My Dell Downloads allows you to access and download the software
titles to your hard drive. You can choose to either re-install it or create a backup
copy to an external storage device (e.g. DVD or USB Key).
If your software was delivered using Dell Digital Download or the Dell Download
Store please refer to those applications to reinstall your software.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I DOWNLOAD A SOFTWARE TITLE?
- Internet Explorer with Microsoft® .NET Framework version 3.0 or greater is the requirement.
- Other browsers will not allow a download to be performed.
- Steps to check what version of Microsoft. NET you have:
- For Windows 8 – no need to check as you should have the latest version installed
- For Windows 7 – no need to check as you should have the latest version installed
- For Windows Vista®: Click on Start, Control Panel, Programs & Features
- Look for latest Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 or greater
- For Windows® XP: Click on Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs
- Look for latest Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 or greater
- To obtain the latest Microsoft .NET Framework, please visit www.microsoft.com
- A majority of the software titles are available to be downloaded 3 times; however,
there will be some software titles that allow fewer than 3 downloads to be performed
so it is important to only download when you need the software and to create a backup
copy of the software title.
- The number of downloads remaining for a software title is displayed on the My Download
- Disable anti-virus scan prior to any product download
- Run SysPro from Dell system
HOW DO I SIGN INTO MY DELL DOWNLOADS?
HOW DO I REGISTER MY SYSTEM?
- Your user name and password is the same as your Dell My Account login. If you have
already created an account:
- Click on the Continue link on the Dell Downloads FrontPage and you will be re-directed
to Dell sign-in page.
- Enter your User Name and Password
- If you have not created a Dell My Account, proceed with the following:
- Click on the continue link on the Dell Downloads front-page and you will be re-directed
to Dell sign-in page
- On the sign-on page click Create a Dell My Account link and then fill in the form
with all the required details including Name, Email address, and Password. Use your
email address and password to login.
- Click on Create Account. A Registration Confirmation email will be sent to the email
address you provided.
HOW MANY SYSTEMS CAN I REGISTER UNDER MY ACCOUNT?
- Login into Dell My Account from the system you want to register.
- Agree to the End User License Agreement
- Click Register System
- You may see a notice in the Internet Explorer tool bar indicating that you need
to install Active X Controls. Please click the information bar on the web browser
to allow Active X to install.
I FORGOT MY PASSWORD, CAN I RESET IT?
There is no limit to the number of systems that can be registered under a single
To add additional systems, please log into My Dell Downloads website and click on
Add System that appears on the My Download Locker webpage
- Yes, click the Forgot Your Password link on the Application Sign-on page
and you will be prompted to enter your Email address and then click Submit.
- A Reset Password link will be sent to the registered Email address you provided.
You will be able to click on the provided link to reset your password.
WHAT KIND OF INTERNET CONNECTION WORKS WITH MY DELL
WILL MY DOWNLOAD STOP IF THE SYSTEM REBOOTS OR GETS
My Dell Downloads works with all Internet connections, but works best with a broadband
connection. Most software programs can be downloaded without a broadband connection.
The download time depends on the size of the file, the speed of your connection,
and the amount of traffic on the Internet.
WHAT IF THE DOWNLOAD STOPS BEFORE IT IS COMPLETED?
Once a download has been interrupted, the file will need to be re-downloaded in
its entirety prior to installing your product. When you are ready to download your
software, make sure you leave yourself ample time to download, especially if you
have a slower internet connection, such as dial-up.
WHAT INFORMATION DO I NEED SO MY FIREWALL DOES NOT PREVENT
ME FROM DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE TITLES FROM MY DELL DOWNLOADS SITE?
In the event that the download stops before it is completed, the file will need
to be re-downloaded in its entirety prior to installing your product.
The firewall must allow all inbound and outbound traffic to smartsource.dell.com.
Proxy server settings will be automatically detected and applied.
Software Download Questions
WHAT SOFTWARE TITLES ARE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD?
HOW DO I START MY DOWNLOAD?
A complete list of the software available for your specific system will be displayed
after system registration. System drivers are available for download at www.support.dell.com.
WHERE IS THE SOFTWARE DOWNLOADED
The download can be started on the My Dell Downloads page. Your product or products
can be downloaded by selecting the appropriate Download checkbox (es) and
then clicking Download Software.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN I DOWNLOAD A SOFTWARE TITLE?
The product file(s) will be downloaded automatically into the My Dell Downloads
folder located in the My Documents folder.
CAN I DOWNLOAD AND ARCHIVE A COPY OF A SOFTWARE TITLE?
Once the download starts, a message box containing a status bar will pop up. This
status bar will show a percentage of completion that will climb to 100%. Upon completion
of the software download, you can click Install to install the software, click on
the CD/DVD Burn option, or click View Download Folder to view where the software
title was downloaded where you are able to burn or copy the application using your
own method to a DVD, USB Key, or other external storage device.
Note: CD/DVD Burn option only appears if system has a DVD-RW drive attached. The
Burn software that is provided through the Dell Download Manager only supports burn
capability to a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-DL, or DVD-RW. In order to burn to a Blu-ray
Disc™ or USB, you must check if the burn software available on your system supports
CAN I DOWNLOAD MULTIPLE TITLES SIMULTANEOUSLY?
Yes, you can download and archive a copy of the software title for your use by burning
it to a CD-R, CD – RW, DVD-R, DVD-DL, DVD-RW, Blu-ray Disc or by copying the folder
of backup media.
Note: The Burn Software that is provided through the Dell Download Manager only
supports burn capability to a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-DL, or DVD-RW. In order to
burn to a Blu-ray Disc or USB, you must check if the burn software available on
your system supports this.
Yes. By selecting the Download checkbox next to your product; multiple products
can be selected for download at the same time.
HOW CAN I CONTACT DELL?
To obtain detailed contact information, please follow the steps below:
- Browse www.support.dell.com
- Under Contact Us, click Contact Technical Support.
- Click one of the following options that appear under Contact Dell:
- Ask Dell’s Community Forum
Get answers from others in Dell's online Community Forum.
- Search for My Problem
Search Dell's extensive Knowledgebase & Forums for answers.
- Chat Online with Technical Support
Use this option to start an online chat session with a Dell Technical Support representative.
- Call Technical Support
Use this option to obtain a telephone number for Dell Technical Support.
- E-mail Technical Support
Use this option to send an e-mail message to Dell Technical Support.
Application Error Messages
THE POPUPS THAT YOU WILL SEE.
A COMMUNICATION ERROR HAS OCCURRED. PLEASE CHECK YOUR
NETWORK CONNECTION AND TRY DOWNLOAD AGAIN.
- When you click on Continue button, you will see a popup saying “The current web
page is trying to open a site: http://sso.dell.com --> Do you want to allow this?”
- When you click on the LOGOUT link, you will see a popup saying “The current web
page is trying to open a site: http://pf.us.dell.com --> Do you want to allow this?”
SETUP PATH WAS INVALID OR NOT PROVIDED. PLEASE SEE HELP
FOR MORE INFORMATION.
You get this message for the following reasons:
- A network cable is unplugged or your network connection was dropped or
- Communication with the download server was interrupted and could not be re-established
Please verify that all network cables are properly attached to your computer and
that you can access the internet by visiting
www.dell.com. If you are properly able to access the internet then try your
download again. If the problem persists please contact Dell Technical support.
AN APPLICATION ERROR HAS OCCURRED. PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER
SUPPORT IF THIS PROBLEM PERSISTS.
Please navigate to the download folder on your computer. In default installations
this file is located in My Dell Downloads folder in My Documents folder. Locate
the folder containing the installation file that failed to install and try installing
the file manually by double clicking on the installation package. If you are unable
to install the file manually, please contact Dell Technical Support.
SERVICE TAG ALREADY REGRISTERED
This means that a communication with the download server was interrupted and could
not be re-established. Please try again in another day, but if still persists, please
contact Dell Technical Support.
SERVICE TAG NOT SUPPORTED
A different login account already has this service tag registered to it. Please
use that login and if you forgot your password, please click on forgot password
link. If you forgot your login, please contact Dell Technical Support for assistance.
The system you are trying to register does not have any software available through
My Dell Downloads. Please refer to support.dell.com and click on Software Download
Center for other available methods to reinstall your software.